HSE - Initial notification of forestry fatality - see attached.
Being struck by falling trees or branches is one of the biggest causes of workplace death and life changing injury for tree surgeons. The proportion of people killed doing tree work is higher than almost any other occupation.
• Tree workers must be adequately trained and their competence checked
• Tree felling is a one-person operation and others should be at least two tree lengths away
• Check trees for signs of decay and grain direction
• Ensure the escape route and work area are clear of obstructions
• Always make a sink cut
• Felling cuts should be level or slightly above the level of the horizontal sink cut